He acted as Chief of the Sections of Facial Plastic Surgery & Reconstructive Surgery and Rhinology at Rush University Medical Center for eight years, and is still strongly involved in the training of students, residents, and fellows at Rush. Dr. Dutton is well-respected in these subspecialties by his peers, having published numerous peer-reviewed articles on rhinoplasty, facial plastic surgery, and functional considerations in nasal and sinus surgery.
He is a member of the American Academy of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery, American Academy of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, American Rhinologic Society, and American College of Surgeons, among other organizations. He is also a diplomate of both the American Board of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery and American Board of Otolaryngology. Dr. Dutton completed his premedical education in Biology at Indiana University in 1990, where he graduated with honors and was accepted into the Phi Beta Kappa honor society. He then earned his medical degree from the University of Iowa in 1994, and was named the “medical student of the year” by the Department of Otolaryngology. He was then immediately accepted into the prestigious University of Iowa Department of Otolaryngology, which was ranked the #1 program in America by US News & World Report at the time.
Dr. Dutton left Iowa for Grand Rapids, Michigan, where he completed a one-year surgical fellowship in 1995 at Butterworth Hospital and then returned to complete his residency training in Otolaryngology – Head and Neck Surgery at the University of Iowa in 1999. He was honored to be selected as the Chief Resident in this prestigious department for his final year. Dr. Dutton then completed a post-graduate fellowship in Advanced Rhinology and Facial Plastic Surgery under the direction of Dr. Robert Bumsted and Dr. William Panje at Rush Medical College in 2000. He has been practicing medicine at Rush University Medical Center and in the Chicago area since that time.
In addition to managing a very busy practice, Dr. Dutton continues his love of teaching and training future generations of surgeons. Well-trained and experienced in all aspects of facial plastic surgery, Dr. Dutton is particularly passionate about the form and function of the nose, both clinically and in his numerous peer-reviewed articles and lectures. Dr. Dutton travels annually to the Dominican Republic to perform cleft lip and palate reconstructions for the community of Peralta, and he has twice traveled to Haiti to perform reconstructive surgery, including immediately after the devastating earthquake of 2010.
- Facial Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery
- Otolaryngology-Head & Neck Surgery.
Special Medical Interests
- Advanced Nasal and Sinus Disorders
- Functional and Cosmetic Rhinoplasty
- Anterior Skull Base Surgery
- Facial Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery
- Snoring and Obstructive Sleep Apnea
- General Otolaryngology
Board Certification and Licensure:
- Board Certified, American Board of Otolaryngology (2000)
- Board Certified, American Academy of Facial Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery (2013)
- Illinois Medical Licensure, 336-100227 (1999-present)
- Fellow, American College of Surgeons (2008)
In Local Practice Since:
- University of Iowa – 1994 Otolaryngology “Medical Student of the Year” 2004
General Surgical Internship:
- Butterworth Hospital (now Spectrum Health), Grand Rapids, Michigan 1995
Otolaryngology-Head & Neck Surgery Residency:
- University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics 1995 – 1999
Facial Plastic Surgery Fellowship:
- Rush University Medical Center 2000
- Associate Professor, Department of Otolaryngology, Rush University Medical College
- Chief, Section of Rhinology & Facial Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery (2007-2014)
- Clinical Instructor, Midwestern University, Downers Grove, IL (2010-2013
- American Journal of Rhinology, Editorial Review Board (2005-present)
- The Laryngoscope, Editorial Review Board (2007-present)
- Otolarygnology Open Reviews Editorial Review Board (2008-present)
- American Academy of Otolaryngology-Head & Neck Surgery
- Course on “Non-Allergic Rhinitis” at Annual Meeting, 2001-2002
- American Rhinologic Society
- Information Technology Subcommittee Member, 2002-2005
- Information Technology Subcommittee Chair, 2006 -2009
- Patient Advocacy Committee, 2005-2007
- Corporate Liaison Committee, 2005-2007
- Annual Meeting and COSM Program Committee, 2007-2010
- ARS Position Paper on Balloon Sinuplasty, 2008.
- Historian Committee, 2009-2012
- By-Laws Committee, 2009-2012
- Education Committee, 2011-present
- American Academy of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery
- Volunteer, “Face to Face” program for domestic abuse victims, 2003-present
- American Academy of Otolaryngologic Allergy
- Chicago Laryngologic and Otologic Society
- Illinois Medical Society
- Chicago Medical Society
- American Medical Association
- American College of Surgeons (Fellow)
- Rush University Medical Center – Chicago, IL
- Good Samaritan Hospital – Downers Grove, IL
- South Suburban Hospital – Hazel Crest, IL
- Dutton JM, Palmer PM, McCulloch TM, Smith RJH. Mortality in the pediatric patient with tracheotomy. Head Neck 17:402-408, 1995.
- Reprinted in the American Academy of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery Home Study Course: Congenital and Pediatric Problems, 1997.
- Palmer PM, Dutton JM, McCulloch TM, Smith RJH. Trends in the use of tracheotomy in the pediatric patient: The Iowa experience. Head Neck 17:328-333, 1995.
- Dutton JM et al. Surfactant Protein A in rabbit sinus and middle ear mucosa. Ann Otol Rhinol Laryngol 108:915-924, 1999.
- Dutton JM, Bumsted RM. Management of the cleft lip nasal deformity. Facial Plastic Surg Clin North Amer 9(1):51-58, 2001.
- Dutton JM, Graham SM, Hoffman HT. Metastatic cancer to the floor of mouth: The lingual lymph nodes. Head Neck, 2002.
- Dutton JM, Bumsted RM. Steroid injection in the treatment of nasofrontal recess obstruction. Am J Rhinol, 15(6):391-394, 2001.
- Stoikes NFN and Dutton JM. The effect of endoscopic sinus surgery on symptoms of eustachian tube dysfunction. Am J Rhinol, 19(2)199-202, 2005.
- Pomerantz J and Dutton JM. Platelet gel for endoscopic sinus surgery. Ann Otol Rhinol Laryngol, 114(9):699-704, 2005.
- Kircher M and Dutton JM. Concurrent rhinoplasty and endoscopic sinus surgery, Am J Rhinol, 20(5)485-488, 2006.
- Camp, A and Dutton, JM. Endoscopic approach to the anterior ethmoid artery, Am Journal Rhinol , 23(2):200-202, 2008.
- Dutton JM, Neidich MJ. Intranasal Z-plasty for nasal valve collapse, Archives of Facial Plastic Surgery, 10(3:)164-168, 2008.
- Rodman, R, Dutton JM, Transnasal Endoscopic Neural Blockade for Rhinogenic Headache and Facial Pain: 2012 update, International Forum of Rhinology and Allergy, 2012.
- Dutton JM, Hinton MJ. Middle turbinate suture conchopexy during sinus surgery does not affect olfaction, Am Journal Rhinol, 2011 Mar-Apr;25(2):125-7
- Dutton JM. Frontal abscess in Patient with HIV sinusitis. Otolarygology Open reviews. 2009.
- Dutton JM, Schneider JS, Ray CA. The Intranasal Z-plasty for Internal Nasal Valve Collapse. In “Advanced Rhinoplasty: Art, Science and New Clinical Techniques”. Edited by Shiffman MA and Giuseppe D. Springer-Verlag, Berlin, 2012.
- Weeks DM, Walker DD, Dutton JM. Anatomical comparison of minimally invasive nasal valve procedures. Archives of Facial Plastic Surgery, 14(3):189-192, 2012.
- Dutton, JM, Decker J, Local Anesthesia for nasal and sinus surgery, Ear Nose & Throat Journal; (92)3:107-8.
- Dutton JM. Endoscopic sinus surgery. www.american-rhinologic.com, 2002.
- Dutton, JM. Complications of sinus surgery. www.american-rhinologic.com, 2002.
- Dutton, JM. Complications of sinusitis. www.american-rhinologic.com, 2002.
- Dutton, JM. What to expect after sinus surgery. www.american-rhinologic.com, 2002.
- Al-Khudari, Dutton JM. Rhinoplasty. www.american-rhinologic.org, 2007.
- Al-Khudari, Dutton JM. Upper Respiratory Infections. www.american-rhinologic.org, 2007.
Regional and National Presentations:
- “Metastatic Cancer to the Floor of Mouth: The Lingual Lymph Nodes,” poster presentation at the Triologic Society Midwestern Section Meeting, Minneapolis, MN, 1998.
- “Surfactant Protein A in Rabbit Sinus and Middle Ear Mucosa,” presented to the American Society of Pediatric Otolaryngology, Palm Beach, FL, 1998.
- “Management of Acute and Chronic Sinusitis,” presented to the Chicago Medical Society, Chicago, IL, 2000.
- “Steroid Injection in the Treatment of Nasofrontal Recess Obstruction,” presented to the American Rhinologic Society “Nose 2000” meeting, Washington, DC, 2000.
- “Management of the Orbit in Invasive Fungal Sinusitis,” presented to the American Rhinologic Society Spring Meeting, 2001.
- “Non-allergic Rhinitis: A Simplified Approach,” course presentation at the American Academy of Otolaryngology-Head & Neck Surgery Annual Fall Meeting, 2001, 2002.
- “Management of the Difficult Sinus Patient,” presented to the National Medical Association, Honolulu, HI, 2002.
- “Non-allergic Rhinitis and Rhinopathies,” presented to the National Medical Association, Honolulu, HI, 2002.
- “Management of the Rhinologic Headache,” University of Iowa Sinus Course, June 2003.
- “Computer-aided Sinus Surgery,” University of Iowa Sinus Course, June 2003.
- “The Sphenoid Sinus,” University of Iowa Sinus Course, June 2003.
- Moderator, American Rhinologic Society Annual Fall Meeting, Orlando FL, 2003.
- Moderator, American Rhinologic Society Combined Otologic Spring Meetings, Phoenix AZ, 2004.
- “Platelet Gel in Endoscopic Sinus Surgery,” presented to the American Rhinologic Society annual fall meeting, Phoenix AZ, 2004.
- Moderator, American Rhinologic Society Annual Fall Meeting, New York NY, 2004.
- “Management of the Rhinologic Headache,” Techniques in Head and Neck Surgery – Otolaryngology: The Course. Rush University Medical Center, June 5, 2005.
- “Concurrent Rhinoplasty and Endoscopic Sinus Surgery.” Poster presentation, American Rhinologic Society Annual Fall Meeting, Los Angeles, CA, September 2005.
- “Intransal Z-plasty for nasal valve collapse” Oral presentation, American Rhinoloigc Society Spring Meeting, Chicago IL, May 2006.
- “Endoscopic Anatomy of the Anterior Ethmoid Nerve,” Oral presentation, American Rhinologic Society Annual Fall Meeting, Washington DC, September 2007.
- “Endoscopic anatomy of the anterior ethmoid artery,” Chicago Laryngologic and Otologic Society Lederer-Pierce competition, spring 2007.
- “Chemical Cautery for Vasomotor Rhinitis,” Chicago Laryngologic and Otologic Society Lederer-Pierce competition, spring 2007.
- Moderator, American Rhinologic Society COSM meeting, Orlando FL, 2008.
- Moderator, American Rhinologic Annual Fall Meeting, Chicago IL, 2008.
- “Effect of middle turbinate suture medialization on olfaction”, accepted for oral presentation, American Rhinologic Society Spring Meeting (“Rhinoworld”), Philadelphia, PA, 2009.
- “Septoplasty and turbinoplasty: medical management,” moderator, Rhinoworld 2009 (ARS annual spring meeting, April 15,2009, Philadelphia, PA
- “Management of facial pain: endoscopic neural blockade,” moderator, Rhinoworld 2009 (ARS annual spring meeting, April 15, 2009, Philadelphia, PA.
- “Endoscopic Septoplasty”, Sinus Forum 2009, Washington DC, July 2009.
- “An anatomic comparison of minimally invasive nasal valve procedures,” paper presentation, ARS Annual Fall Meeting, 2010.
- Moderator, scientific session, ARS Annual Fall Meeting, 2010.
- “Endoscopic neural blockade for rhinogenic headaches”, ARS Spring Meeting (COSM), Chicago, IL 2011.
- “Management of complications of sinus surgery,” Northwestern Medical Center Endsocopic Sinus Conference, 2011
- “Live Case Conference: New applications in balloon sinus dilation,” Sinus Forum 2011, New York, NY.
- “The role of nasal surgery in obstructive sleep apnea,” Sinus Forum 2011, New York, NY.
- “Functional rhinoplasty” Panel, COSM ARS and AAFPRS joint program, 2012, San Diego, CA.
- “Rhinoplasty: Functional and Esthetic Considerations,” Forum moderator, ARS Summer Symposium July 14, 2012, Chicago, IL.
- “Rhinoplasty: Tip techniques”, panelist, ARS Summer symposium July 2013.
- “Culture results after antibiotic failure in acute rhinosinusitis after endoscopic sinus surgery”, 59th Annual Meeting of the American Rhinologic Society, Vancouver BC, September 2013.
- “Rhinoplsasty: A Case-Based Approach,” Forum moderatior, ARS Summer Symposium, July 19, 2014.
- “Objective comparison of minimally invasive nasal valve procedures”
- “Medical therapy versus balloon sinus dilation for patients with chronic rhinosinusitis” multicenter study, 2012.
- “Timing of Pediatric Rhinoplasty”
- “Pre-operative 3D computerized tomography for rhinoplasty planning”
- Volunteer, American Academy of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery “Face-to-Face” program for victims of domestic abuse. Reconstructive surgery performed on a volunteer basis for patients enrolled in this program.
- Volunteer, ENT/facial plastic surgery medical mission, Dominican Republic, 2007-2012.
- Volunteer, Rush University Medical Center Haiti Relief Team, Port Au Prince Haiti, February 2010 & 2012
- ****Seven mission trips to the island of Hispaniola at this time.
- Pleasantdale Park District Little League Baseball, coach, 2004-present.
- Pleasantdale Park District Basketball, coach, 2006-present.
- Volunteer, Indian Guides Youth Program, 2007-2009.
- Pleasantdale Park District Little League Board of Directors, Player Safety Coordinator, 2009.
- Triathlons: I have completed 22 triathlons as of 2012, and completed my first half-ironman (Ironman 70.3) in August, 2012.
- Tae Kwon Do, Hapkido
- Swimming, fishing, skiing, horseback riding, camping, hiking and other outdoors activities.